Solar Lentigos and Freckles Treatment Clinic London
A lentigo is a patch of skin that contains an excessive amount of cells called melanocytes. These cells produce a dark pigment called melanin and cause a freckle-like appearance on the skin. There are several types of lentigo, but the most common are caused by the sun. These are known as solar lentigos.
About solar lentigos
Solar lentigos are flat spots that develop as a result of sun exposure, particularly if you have fair skin. They are not cancerous and can occur anywhere on the body, but most commonly appear on the forearms, shoulders, face and neck. Solar lentigos vary in colour depending on skin tone, but can range from yellow-brown to dark brown-black.
Is it a freckle or a solar lentigo?
Unlike freckles (lentigo simplex), solar lentigos tend to form after the age of 30. Freckles are caused by overproduction of pigment within the melanocytes together with increased numbers of melanocytes (pigment producing cells). Solar lentigos tend to be larger than freckles with a width of more than 5mm. Another major difference is that freckles fade in the winter, whereas solar lentigos do not.
Both solar lentigos and freckles are harmless and completely benign, but it is important to recognise the differences between these and a type of skin cancer called lentigo maligna melanoma. If you notice a brown spot with multiple colours or an irregular border, it’s important to seek medical advice as soon as possible, as a biopsy may be required.
Although freckles and solar lentigos are totally harmless, some people feel self-conscious about their physical appearance, particularly if they appear on the face. If you’re unhappy with a solar lentigo or freckle, The Dermatology Clinic team can help. Our treatments include:
- Chemical peels – these rapidly remove freckles and solar lentigos from the face
- Cryotherapy – this involves ‘freezing off’ the lesion in a quick and painless procedure using cold liquid nitrogen
- Laser treatments – another effective method for reducing the appearance of solar lentigos or large freckles
- Lightening creams – these reduce the appearance of darker coloured solar lentigos
- Intense pulsed light treatment – this treatment rectifies uneven melanin levels in the skin to gradually reduce the appearance of freckles or solar lentigos
Visit The Dermatology Clinic
Self-confidence is important in today’s society and if you feel self-conscious about solar lentigos or freckles on your skin, our expert dermatologists want to help you. Call The Dermatology Clinic today on 020 3282 0011 to book a consultation.